Wednesday, April 27, 2011

CRITIQUE: Careers Cover


Originally, the careers issue was supposed to be like the travel issue, with all the departments and features revolving around one theme. So, I designed my first three covers to try to reflect that overall theme. However, after a restructuring this weekend (causing headaches for many designers), it was recommended that we focus on either the salaries story or the story about rising and declining jobs. Without any photos, I thought about doing an illustration. However after reading the rising/declining jobs story and scrolling through numerous pages of stock photos, I got the idea for this cover. Personally, I really like covers that directly address the reader. That's why I like having the nurse hold out the stethoscope and the question headline. I think it would encourage a reader to pick it up to read about their job security, a hot topic these days. I don't love using a stock photo, but it's all I had for now. I imagined that it could be re-shot, or a higher quality version of this image could be bought. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how your cover design turned out. I agree that it's nice to have a cover that directly addresses the reader, and this accomplishes that with the combination of the nurse and the headline. I like the way you set up the headline. It seems to be a great fit.

    ReplyDelete