Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CRITIQUE: 30 under 30


When I first started thinking about the 30 under 30 issue, the idea of these short profiles was stuck in my head and I was going to make it a social media theme. I was going to break the people into categories, with a different social media website to represent their profession. However, as Jen Rowe would say, after enough time that idea committed suicide. It was just too cliche for it to work, I think.

I decided to go with a LEGO/building block theme in the end. Overall, I was pretty proud of the idea. I think it was outside the box and yet it still made sense with the story. Obviously, the words would have been important. The idea was that these 30 young people were the new building blocks for our community. I liked the LEGOs because they also gave a sense of youthfulness, which was half of the story. 

Executing the idea was more difficult than I thought. I created all of the legos and green backgrounds in Illustrator. Trying to create text with LEGOs was beyond difficult, which ultimately led to a pretty awful result. If I had more time and resources, I would have built the text myself. I also thought it would have been cool to create 30 different LEGO people to match the 30 people in the story. That probably would have taken about a week though. I think it would have made for a cool cover though.

5 comments:

  1. As someone who LOVED LEGOS as a kid, I really appreciate your 30 under 30 design. I think the concept is really brilliant, but I agree it might have looked better if you actually built the words with LEGOS. But you did an excellent job at connecting the youthful aspect of the story to the "why does this matter."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEGOs are awesome. Love the Beatle's characters. I like how each of your spreads is built very purposively. The organization makes so much sense with your theme. I like how much thought you really gave into making each aspect of your design really tie in with your choice and the execution of your illustrator skills is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LEGO'S. You had a good themed idea for your design. I can image how hard it was to actually execute. I think the legos worked well with your spreads. They didn't overpower the entire thing and you didn't get to crazy with spelling out words in legos either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! You did a great job executing it as well! And it's not only a creative idea, but you tied it into the story and made is purposeful. Well done. The legos and green backgrounds you created look really good. I need to start thinking more outside of the box like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome idea! It actually incorporates the purpose of featuring 30 Under 30 - showing the types of leaders in our community who will be making their mark and continuing to do so over the next X amount of years.

    ReplyDelete