Wednesday, March 2, 2011

YOU CAN'T MISS: Moleskins and Jann Wenner


This week on the Media Bistro Unbeige blog, there was a post about moleskin expanding their product line. I only own one moleskin and I feel like I don't use it enough to consider myself part of their cult-like culture. However, I think they're pretty awesome. This Christmas, I bought my sister a moleskin designed for music lovers. It had sections for playlists, concerts attended, favorite lyrics and other thoughts. It was really cool. The lady at the cash register said her friend Yanni (yes, THAT Yanni) uses it, so it must be good.

Anyway, moleskin is really stepping outside it's niche by bringing in designer Giulio Iacchetti to create news items like bags, pens, reading glasses and USB-rechargeable booklights. Somehow, I doubt USB-rechargeable book likes will obtain the same status as their class black notebooks, but it seems like I pretty innovative idea.


For those of you who are graduating this year (which most of us are), do yourself a favor and visit Jann Wenner's site. Wenner is the founder of Rolling Stone magazine and still works as the editor and publisher. I'm an avid reader of Rolling Stone, but I didn't know much about Wenner. I feel like he doesn't insert himself into the magazine as much as some editors and publishers. What I found out those was stunning. Turns out, Wenner dropped out of Berkeley and founded Rolling Stone when he was 21 YEARS OLD. That was shocking for me. Considering how successful it is today, I was amazed that it was started by someone so young. Maybe he's the prequel to Mark Zuckerberg. Anyway, Wenner started Rolling Stone by borrowing $7500 from some relatives and his future wife's parents (yikes). While as you'll see in my presentation tomorrow, Rolling Stone wasn't the most glamorous of magazines design-wise at the time, it had a clear vision and purpose. As someone who dreams of starting my own magazine, I found Wenner's story to be incredibly inspiring and a real kick in the pants. When I tell people that I'd really like to start a magazine in the next few years, I get a lot of funny looks. Like, you're only 22, you can't possibly do that. Where will you find the money? I still don't have the answers to many of their doubts, but at least I've found my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment