Tuesday, March 8, 2011

CRITIQUE: SJI logos and travel covers

This week, I worked on designing 20 logos for the Sports Journalism Institute. The most difficult thing I ran into was trying to find a balance between diversity, sports, journalism and great typography. I think designing a diversity graphic is always hard because you want to be inclusive and obviously not at all offensive. That can be hard to do sometimes. I think it was also hard to include the sports angle because there's not really a universal symbol for sports. I had a lot of ideas that involved different sports balls, but I felt like if I couldn't include all possible sports, then I shouldn't include any.

On the right are the five designs I'm going to work on for next week. Greg Bowers said that the only thing he was disappointed in was that we didn't reflect the diversity of the organization in the logos, which is really the most important part. I tried several different types of logos with the phrase "Equal Access" a play off of the "All Access Pass" that get sports reporters on the sidelines. I like the lanyard one as an overall design, but it doesn't work very well as a logo to put on the header of a website. I'll have to get creative with that one. There was also the suggestion that I shouldn't include any other words, but I think taking out "Equal Access" takes away the whole concept behind the design.

One design that I just decided to work on after hearing Greg talk is the Tiger-striped one. I thing it can be very symbolic of diversity and I think SJI said they were open to including a Mizzou theme, since the organization is moving here. I didn't see many people try to go for that angle, so I think it might stand out. It obviously needs a lot of work though.

I tried to work in the woman's symbol to the bottom one, but Jan thought it was a bit feminazi. My favorite logo was the top right one, but I think I need to make it more apparent that the line on the right is an "i."







This week I'm also working on my final draft of a cover for the travel issue of VOX. Above are the three drafts I came up with. While the editors got a kick out of the baby one, they ultimately agreed that it probably wasn't appropriate to run and didn't really fit the target market. They said I should work on the first two. I think I'm going to try to do a combo of all three. I might stick with the Stay-cation, google map theme, but also include something like the paper airplane (but not, since the focus isn't on flying). I want to bring take the vibe of the baby cover though and incorporate some humor. It's a fun issue, and I think making someone laugh is one of the best things you can do. Not to mention that it encourages people to pick up the magazine.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to see a paper car, traveling along the interstate. That's the first thought that popped into my mind when we started talking about how we weren't doing flying. I'm not sure how you would make it, but it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby in the suitcase definitely gave me a good laugh. I LOVE the second cover. I think it's a really witty idea and really well thought-out. I like your headline on the first one. Good play on words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your logo ideas. You have a variety of designs and a great start for the second drafts. I like the tiger stripe one as well, and the "x o" one really caught my eye in class. You had great cover ideas that you executed well too. The google maps one is my favorite, but the baby one is for sure creative and entertaining! I would have never thought of that; it's great. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the direction you chose to take with your second travel cover design – your designs are always so thought out! The budget aspect of the travel issue is very clear here, and it was even more so in your final cover draft for the competition, I really liked how you decided to play the budget concept up in both of those. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two comments are coming this week. I'm trying to catch up, but I looked for a lot of inspiration when trying to design for SJI. I think overall though that the best designs might have come out on deadline because we all just punched out our last creative juices in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the travel issue cover designs were really well thought out when ya'll presented drafts. I agreed with the general consensus that maybe a map wasn't the best play since a lot of people don't have the old-fashioned paper maps when they drive anymore, but it seems to be the winning concept (since it was the winning design and all).

    ReplyDelete