Tuesday, March 22, 2011

CRITIQUE: Modern Midwest Draft 1



One of the features I'm working on is about throwing a backyard barbecue party. Ideally, I would like to capture that atmosphere with the design. We're hoping to do a photo shoot of younger crowd barbecuing as well as photoshoots of the fridge with leftovers and some drinks. I'd like to incorporate some drink recipes with the drink cutouts as well. I'm going to work with the headline and subhead typography a lot as well as the illustration. I might do a infographic breaking down the fridge with leftovers. The no hamburgers or hot dogs signs right now are pretty week. I've been toying with the idea of making a white picket fence with the signs on the fence, kind of like a no dogs allowed kind of sign that you would see on a backyard. Or maybe a KEEP OUT sign. Also, I need to work with fitting the recipes. 


This is a department page I'm working on about a trip to Des Moines. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to find images of these spots in the creative library, so we're going to have to figure that out. I'm thinking about creating a map graphic for this page or at least at some infoboxes to break up the text. I like the clean feeling of the right hand page though. I'll need to move the headline off the photo and also come up with a dek.


2 comments:

  1. I think an annotated illustration or photo would be really fun for the bbq spread. It would stick with the fun feeling you have going, but it would be more content driven than the no hotdog or hamburger signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on a great start with the BBQ feature. I think a photo shoot of a BBQ and a fridge with leftovers is a great idea. It would be a good touch and would fit well. The department page looks nice. The elements are nicely arranged and organized.

    ReplyDelete