Wednesday, March 16, 2011

RESPONSE: Putting together a portfolio

It's mid-March (and still snowing), graduation is sneaking up on me and I still don't know what I'm doing after May. Often times I feel like I'm too busy to even think about applying for jobs or look for them. However, it's crunch time now. A good first start was working on putting together my portfolio for class. Fortunately, I have been able to save most of my stuff over the last four years. However, a lost flash drive wipes out some infographics and page designs I did for The Working Press.

Putting together a final portfolio can be extremely difficult. Picking one design and leaving another out can be like abandoning a child. I was stunned to find out that come time for my portfolio review in April, I will only get to pick four clips to present. YIKES! I have absolutely no clue which clips I would pick. That's why I'm thrilled we're doing this exercise in class. It's even set up to help you pick the top four. Personally though, I feel some of my better designs were done years. I used to not care about rules, so I felt like I had more creative power and I also had a lot more time to work on things. I would spend a lot longer thinking about my design ideas. Hopefully, I'll have a good idea after this week about what I want to include. The clock is ticking!

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about graduation. I feel like my life is too busy to apply or look for jobs. But, I think this critique was a great way to get started on putting together a portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you said about having more creative freedom in years past. It's funny because many of us have waited for a long time to take this class because we love to design. But there's this weird pressure that comes along with doing what you want to do. At least for me, this class is sometimes tough because I guess I care more about what people are going to think about my designs, whereas before design was just something I did for fun.

    ReplyDelete