Tuesday, March 15, 2011

CRITIQUE: Final travel cover and SJI logos


Above is the final cover I came up with for the Travel Issue. I wanted to keep the concept of the paper airplane from from the first cover, but since there wasn't a big focus on air travel, I wanted to make that idea more local. I started trying to create a paper car, but that's not a very common thing that people could relate to. So then I thought of one of those power wheels cars I always wanted as a kid, but knew images of those would be copyrighted. So then, just by chance I came across a series of photos featuring this guy in a toy car. I added it to a road background and created the napkin navigation for the sell lines. I thought about using GPS images, but I wanted to make it look more like budget travel and road tripping. A lot of time for a road trip, you would just stop and get directions somewhere and scribble them on a piece of paper. 


 
On the right are the (close to) final drafts of my SJI logos. I incorporated the slogan on all but one of  them (granted, it was the wrong one). I worked with the color and typography on then to make the meaning more clear and also to try to make the diversity meaning more clear. Jan, Erica and Greg went with the ones in the second image, which I revised. My favorite was actually the square one with the X and O and arrow. But, I know it didn't really get the diversity message across so well. I'm excited to see which one they pick.           
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment