Wednesday, May 4, 2011

RESPONSE: Semester wrap up


There's a good chance this could be my last blog post ever. I'd love to say I'll continue posting on here, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. Thank you to all of you who have been reading my blog this semester and providing some helpful feedback. This has been an extremely busy and challenging semester and as thrilled as I am that's it's over, I'm going to miss not only this class, but college design and Mizzou tremendously.

While I was working at The Maneater and Move Magazine, I used to ask myself why on earth I had chosen this career path that kept me up until sunrise more than a few times. But looking back, those late production nights follow by trips to Waffle House were some of my best memories from college. This semester has felt the same way. The class can be extremely stressful and time consuming — not exactly what I was looking for my last semester — but it's so incredibly rewarding. My portfolio and knowledge of design has grown exponentially. When I first started designing I just wanted things to look cool. Now, I still want it to cool, but I really want to convey a content driven message that the reader will get. It's sound simple, but I think there are so many designs that fail at that, even at major magazines.

Thanks for a great semester everyone!  

2 comments:

  1. Joe, you're making me tear up! Well, it could be the sleep deprivation, so I don't really want to put that on your and your ways of weaving the written word ;)

    You're a great kid, and I'm glad you were one of the two sources of testosterone in our class, haaaa. You always had the best sense of humor about everything.

    I also love how you always stuck to your guns when it came to defending your designs. From babies strapped to suitcases to Legos to a photo of yourself (in which you were likely inebriated), you always took a chance with the covers you designed. Kudos for that.

    I wish you the best of luck, no matter what career path you choose to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, I'm going to miss you. You had the funniest cover designs, even if they were never going to see the light of day, and it's been a lot of fun working with you. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. And hopefully, we'll run into each other again at SND.

    ReplyDelete